6.07.2008

Yankees Draft 102 Year Old Emilio "Millito "Navarro

Emilio "Millito" Navarro (born September 26, 1905 in Patillas) was the first Puerto Rican to play baseball in the Negro Leagues.

At 102, Navarro is also the oldest living professional baseball player.

"I started playing professional baseball when I was 17 years old. I was the first Puerto Rican to play in the Negro Leagues and I am the last surviving player from the Negro American League. In 1929, I hit.337. Also, I was the original shortstop and lead-off batter for the Eastern Cuban Stars team."
Navarro was inducted into the "Puerto Rican Sports Hall of Fame" in 2004, and his story will be part of an American documentary called "Beisbol".

On June 6, 2008, Major League Baseball held a ceremonial draft to honor Negro League players. Navarro was drafted by the New York Yankees.

Related:
Winfield’s brainchild thrills Negro Leaguers
Yankees Youth Movement Dealt Another Blow
NAVARRO AN AGELESS AMBASSADOR

Emilio "Millito" Navarro
Major League Baseball to hold ceremonial Negro Leagues draft

No comments:

Post a Comment