Hitwise reports that these are the 10 most trafficked political websites in the U.S. The percentage is of market share within the politics category.
It used to be that editors would get their cues from the NYTimes. Increasingly, they are getting their leads from web sources--and these sites are some of the primary sources.
Some of these sites offer insightful analyses and opinions, while others are forums for bigots and the dimwitted.
I'll let you discover for yourselves which is which. Clue: Smart (and decent) is rarely the most popular.
1. http://www.freerepublic.com/home.htm 5.14%
2. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ 4.51%
3. http://www.dailykos.com/ 2.57%
4. politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com 2.17%
5. http://www.townhall.com/ 2.1%
6. http://www.buzzflash.com/ 1.95%
7. http://www.politico.com/ 1.9%
8. http://www.humanevents.com/ 1.84%
9. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ 1.72%
10. http://www.democraticunderground.com/ 1.69%